Monday, June 07, 2010

Snake in the Fence

This is a picture of a black rat snake.

This is a picture of our backyard. Note the mesh fence around the garden.

Now, here's the fun part. Imagine the black rat snake intertwined in the fence. Now imagine that it's dead, falling apart, and covered in flies. While you're imagining the scene, pretend that this is a British tourist attraction and recreate the smell by opening a tupperware full of moldering broccoli. (All good British tourist attractions try to recreate the smell. The worst is that Jorvick Viking Center in York that sends you on a Disneyland-esque ride through a Viking village because who wouldn't want to know what a Viking village smelled like? (It smells uncommonly like the York Youth Hostel.))

Such was the scene that we faced after coming home from the beach. A) I had no clue there were black rat snakes in my yard. B) I did not know that they are stupid enough to get themselves so wrapped up in mesh that one has to cut them out of the fence in two different places. Because while what's better than getting your body stuck in the fence? Why, getting your head tightly wrapped up too.

On the minus side, I have a couple of holes in my fence.

On the plus side, I no longer have that snake in my yard.

Also on the plus side, a forager at the MoCo landfill (probably in PG County) might stumble across a bag with a dead snake in it. And that's always good for a laugh.


2 comments:

kate said...

looks like you're doing a great job in that yard! (i'm ignoring all the stinky snake parts of this story)

Adrienne said...

Yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaghhhhhh!!! My kids still talk about me trying to get the dead teeny tiny snake into a sack that our garage door had squished. There was a lot of shrieking. And that was a TEENY TINY SNAKE.
You are a man, my son.