Sunday, November 14, 2010

Giants Win the World Series

I know, I know, they won it almost two weeks ago. (The Call Family will no longer celebrate All Saints Day on November 1st, but will celebrate Giants Day to commemorate the final victory in game 5). And it's embarrassing to have blogged consistently about the Giants up until the WS victory and then not say anything about it. Honestly, I am still basking in the aftermath of it all, so I don't feel compelled to write anything more than the following. You always hope that when your team wins the whole enchilada, that it's not a team of jerks or dour professionals (the 2002 Giants). The thing I will always remember about the 2010 WS team was that they were not full of themselves, they were enthusiastic, they played as a team, and their joy in playing the game was infectious. They were cast-offs, has-beens, and up-and-comers that really seemed like a team without an ego. The kind of team that you thought all teams were like when you were naive to professional sports as a business.

It doesn't matter what the Giants do from here on out. I will continue to follow them and support them, but I won't have the gnawing desire to have them with the World Series. I watched every game this year, I have the memories, that's good enough for me. You can't get a better storyline or a better team.

No comments: