Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Private innovation is great until it kills what you love

Dear Netflix:

I hate you. You sent me an email saying that instead of letting me enjoy my "One DVD by mail, unlimited by stream plan for $9.99" in perpetuity, you are now charging separately for the mail service and the streaming service, effectively increasing my bill by 50 percent. 50 percent!! I know, you're getting so big that you are now obsessed with profits instead of providing an awesome service for cheap (which is the sole reason that we signed up with you in the first place). Way to follow in the same footsteps of Emusic and Lala who both decided to go away from their core services (Emusic=cheap, obscure indie music, Lala=Trading CDs) to try and get more profits. And you know what? I cancelled my emusic subscription because it didn't provide the service I wanted at the price I wanted and Lala died, killed by Apple because it decided to do something more than what it ought. You think I'm going to pay 15 bucks for streaming AND DVDs? Not a chance, which means I'm going to choose one or the other, meaning that you will be receiving LESS money from me in the future. 

You fools, you stupid capitalist fools, who think that people will stick with your brand even if you jack up the price not realizing that the price and the original service is why people are patronizing your service. Argh. It's like sports teams who continually increase ticket prices and expect to maintain attendance levels. It doesn't happen, people just decide that they can skip the games and watch on TV. 

So, yeah, in some ways I wish you were like a government program that never changed that couldn't be killed that you would offer the same service forever. Of course, that would mean you would provide a crappy service forever.

I guess that leaves the only other option: Become a charity or church. Please. Let go of the profits, and embrace a live of service and do-goodery by giving the masses streaming and DVDs by mail on the cheap. You know, like the BBC.

Doug

P.S. I am in a particularly foul mood because somehow Bringing Up Baby ended up at the top of the queue and is now sitting on my end table.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your opening line reminds me of a moment long ago in a doctor's office...

momacita said...

I'm with you, Doug, and we don't even have Netflix right now. The reason people love it is "it's cheap and it's convenient". That's why they're doing so well, and have basically killed the video store competition. But they couldn't leave well enough alone. Sad. Hopefully someone will come along who will do what they do better and cheaper.