Sunday, June 27, 2010

A movie that explains many a lost weekend in high school


No one believes in high school debate.

No one believes that there is a strange subculture of incredibly smart arrogant hypercompetitive scholastic underachievers that voluntarily give up their weekends for months going to tournaments around the state, lugging around boxes and boxes to scream at each other for hour and a half intervals.

No one believes that one of my God-given abilities (reading incredibly fast) could be used in any useful manner apart from making a fool of myself in talent shows from coast to coast.

This is why, I announce with trembling pleasure, the appearance of a great documentary. (A paraphrase of perhaps the greatest blurb of all time, for Watership Down. How could one not want to read Watership Down after reading that on the front cover? The four or five pages of positive reviews inside only solidify how awesome that book is. Whenever I'm reading and I'm thinking, "Does anyone else realize how awesome this book is?" I flip to the front and read all the positive reviews and bask in the praise as if I wrote the book.)

The documentary is called Resolved. It took me right back to high school, getting crushed my debaters like Sam who not only crushed you in the round, but made you feel as stupid as an earthworm. Watch it. Believe.

(I often was not on the positive side of the crushing. Everyone always talks about how awesome sports are for learning perseverance and developing character, blah blah blah, because the coach is yelling at you and pushing you to your physical limits. I say, "Bah!" Why? Because in a service economy, the people who are more valuable are those who are mentally tough, who have gone through the refining fire of having their arguments ripped to shreds, who have suffered the humiliation of being judged stupider than another on multiple occasions, but who learn how to take it and adapt. That's building character.)

No comments: