Friday, June 11, 2010

I cannot resist a good English soccer anthem



This song is pretty epic despite it being recorded by Americans (well, two of them anyway) for England. And the timing of my posting of it is particularly horrendous as the US and England play tomorrow and my posting an English soccer anthem may seem treacherous. Ah, but note I called it soccer and I will call it a "game" not a "match" and they will play on a "field" not a "pitch" and if someone lays a goose egg it will be "zero" and not "nil." And more importantly, as a real American fan, I will celebrate when the Americans play an extraordinarily physical game, when they run people over, when they make ill-advised devastating tackle after devastating tackle, earning scores of yellow cards in the process which will doom them in later games (where they will also earn scores of yellow cards leading to scores of suspensions). Because there's nothing more exciting than mucking up someone else's beautiful game.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, and as Uncle Whathisname said in Mary Poppins, that's nothing like one....

kyality said...

Pip, pip and a cheerio to you ol' boy!